Reference Number: SS012020
Job Title: Society Secretary
Salary: Dependent upon experience
Benefits: Include: bonus, private health care, non-contributory pension, flexible working, and generous annual leave.
Location: Edinburgh city centre
FULL TIME, PERMANENT (PART TIME HOURS WILL BE CONSIDERED)
The Scottish Building Society is the oldest building society in the world (established in 1848). Our enduring and ongoing success is founded on a robust business model, skilled people, a reputation built on trust and confidence and exceptional customer service.
Our people are key to our success, and in addition to our competitive pay and benefits package, we offer an excellent work life balance, a supportive, open and collaborative working environment, the ability to influence our business and shape our strategy, and professional progression.
Attributes we value are diligence, integrity, team work, creativity, positivity, a desire to continually improve the business and oneself, and a commitment to ensuring that the customer remains at the heart of everything we do.
A Society Secretary is required to join our Senior Management Team. Reporting to the Chief Executive the role holder will act as Company Secretary for the Society and its subsidiary - SBS Mortgages Ltd, and identify all relevant legal requirements affecting the Society.
- Providing support to the Chairman and the Board of Directors, including timetabling and arranging Board meetings, liaising with Directors and ensuring the timely distribution of Board papers, advising the Board (through the Chairman) on corporate governance matters
- Attending all Board and Board Committee meetings and preparing agenda, papers, and minutes for approval
- Arranging Board induction and training
- Membership of the Management Risk Committees as required
- Organising the Annual General Meeting including preparation of all relevant documentation, organisation of the mailing to members, overseeing receipt and scrutiny of proxy votes and counting of votes at the AGM itself.
- Assisting with the narrative sections of the Report & Accounts and Summary Financial Statement.
- Undertaking regulatory reporting, to include: SMR Conduct Breaches, Close Links and uploading of the Annual Report.
- Processing regulatory submissions.
- Preparing Agency Agreements.
- Advising on compliance with the Senior Managers and Certification Regime, maintaining SM&CR Responsibilities Map and Statements. Act as a key point of contact with the regulators.
- Overall responsibility for ensuring that the Society identifies all relevant legislative requirements and complies with all such requirements.
- Ensuring that appropriate corporate insurance arrangements are in place.
- Providing ad hoc advice on contracts.
- Oversight of the instruction of external solicitors where required.
- Managing and developing the Secretarial Assistant.
Qualifications and Experience required for this role:
- Degree in a Finance or Legal discipline
- Proven compliance experience
- Proven financial services experience – preferably building society sector
- Proven understanding of relevant legislation and regulation
- Proven experience of strategic decision making
- ACIS or equivalent
- Member of Chartered Institute of Bankers
If you would like to work for a company that really cares about its people and customers; you want to make a real impact and have a can do attitude, then we would like to hear from you. Please forward your cover letter, CV and salary expectations.
Closing Date: 27 January 2020
PLEASE DO NOT APPLY FOR THIS ROLE UNLESS YOU HAVE RECENT DEMONSTRABLE AND RELEVANT EXPEREINCE.