Principal Legal Scotland
Contract type: Permanent
Working pattern: Flexible working, Full-time, Job share, Part-time
Closing: 11:55pm, 24 September 2021 BST
Roles available: 1
We are the Equality and Human Rights Commission. We are Great Britain’s national equality body and a United Nations accredited National Human Rights Institution. We were established by the Equality Act 2006 and our role is to protect and promote equality and human rights across England, Scotland and Wales. As a statutory non-departmental public body, we are funded by HM Treasury via the Cabinet Office, but we operate independently of governments.
We pride ourselves on being a flexible and inclusive employer. We celebrate difference, embrace diversity and support all our people to thrive at work. If this sounds interesting - apply to join us!
We are recruiting for a Principal- legally qualified: to join the Scotland Legal team.
This will involve:
- Applying legal specialist/technical expertise to provide expert advice on novel and grey areas, using sound judgement to make decisions where solutions are not obvious.
- Using strong strategic planning skills to identify the best response to opportunities for use of the Commission’s legal and enforcement powers
- Conducting high profile and contentious litigation and undertaking enforcement work in line with the Commission’s legal and enforcement strategy.
- Responding to internal and external client needs/requests, delivering appropriate solutions and policy responses to tackle systemic problems and in novel situations.
- Sharing knowledge and building external relationships to extend the Commission’s influence, building relationships with stakeholders to increase our use of our legal powers.
- Drafting accessible, well-reasoned reports, submissions, consultation responses, pleadings and guidance and quality assuring those written by others.
Some travel to other offices, court hearings and meetings may be required. The Principal may be requested to supervise other members of the team.
What we are looking for
We are recruiting for a Principal – legally qualified to join the Scotland legal team. You must be a qualified solicitor entitled to practice in Scotland with substantial post-qualifying experience, and will require skills including:
- Ability to: provide specialist technical expertise and advice on equality and human rights law, including novel and grey areas,
- Experience in high profile and / or cutting-edge litigation and interventions and in depth working knowledge of the legal system,
- Ability to think strategically to identify the most effective interventions in relation to equality and human rights issues,
- Ability to provide in-depth technical briefings and user-friendly guidance on proposed and existing legislation,
- Ability to analytically examine equality and human rights issues, in conjunction with internal and external stakeholders, identify critical elements and making practical recommendations to improve practices, policies and legislation,
- Ability to lead the provision of professional legal know-how and initiatives to increase legal stakeholder engagement, communication networks and output of legal information,
This is a challenging role. In return, you will be able to make a significant and visible contribution to wider work of the Commission and join a supportive team and will have opportunities for learning and development.
For full details, including the criteria you’ll be assessed against and how to apply, please visit the full Be Applied advert.