Appointment of Presenting Officer and General Legal Services – General Teaching Council for Scotland
Invitations to tender are invited from firms of solicitors or advocates for appointment as GTC Scotland’s Presenting Officers and General Legal Services. GTC Scotland is the independent professional body that maintains and enhances teaching standards and promotes and regulates the teaching profession in Scotland.
Presenting Officers will be required to:
- investigate fitness to teach cases where instructed;
- present on behalf of GTC Scotland at Full Hearings before Fitness to Teach Panels;
- act on behalf of GTC Scotland to apply for temporary restriction orders and where necessary present temporary restriction order applications;
- act on behalf of GTC Scotland in respect of proceedings to review Conditional Registration Orders;
- act on behalf of GTC Scotland at any fitness to teach hearing before a Fitness to Teach Panel;
- act for GTC Scotland in any appeal of a case to the Court of Session, where appropriate;
Legal advisers will be required to support the GTCS in-house team on a full range of legal disciplines, for example:
- Data Protection;
- General contract advice;
- Professional Regulation;
- Court of Session actions.
Appointment: - 3 years from 2 April 2019 with the possibility of extension for a further year.
Commitment: - This will depend on the volume of cases which are referred into the fitness to teach process and the number of appeals lodged at the Court of Session. GTC Scotland has a small in-house team of solicitors and Regulation Officers. This team will instruct appointed Presenting Officers as required.
For further information and an application pack, inlcuding the Invitation to Tender Specification document visit www.gtcs.org.uk/vacancies or call 0131 314 6000.
The closing date for receipt of applications is 12 noon on Monday 21 January 2019.
Interviews will be held in Edinburgh during the week commencing 18 February 2018.