Commercial Manager – Scottish Futures Trust
Salary: £35,000 - £40,000
Would you like to help us to make Scotland a better country?
Our aim is to improve efficiency and effectiveness of infrastructure investment and use in Scotland by working collaboratively with public bodies and industry, leading to better value for money and ultimately improved public services, while maintaining a clear focus on supporting long term economic growth. To help us achieve this aim, we are looking for a Commercial Manager to join our Housing Team.
The Housing Team is an enthusiastic, multi-disciplinary team who work closely together in considering all aspects of new initiatives as well as practical aspects of existing ones. This role has been established primarily to ensure that the Housing Team remains at the forefront of developments in the housing industry allowing future innovation and delivery of existing initiatives to be undertaken from a position of unparalleled knowledge and understanding.
SFT is also subject to legislation concerning information governance which falls largely within the remit of the Commercial Director. The role holder will, as part of an existing team, support the Commercial Director in this.
The role of Commercial Manager within the SFT Home team has been established to ensure that the team benefits from a robust level of non – financial support in its delivery of existing housing delivery initiatives and the development of new initiatives.
The role will also provide the Commercial Director with a high level of support in meeting SFT’s information governance requirements.
Based in Edinburgh with occasional travel to attend meetings, training and conferences.
No direct reports and no budget responsibility.
The principal accountabilities can be separated under the following programmes/work streams, all of which fall under the responsibility of SFT’s Commercial Director.
• Capture relevant know-how gathered by individual members of the SFT Home team working on specific project workstreams, collating this into a format which will thereafter be readily accessible, and sharing this with the rest of the team, the wider SFT organisation and/or with external partners, as appropriate;
• Ensure that the SFT Home team is kept fully up-to-date with all relevant developments in the housing market, practice and law (encompassing housing development by both the public and private sectors). The role will be to act as a filter of the various sources of market and legal information, bringing to the attention of the SFT Home team key developments and collating these in a format which will thereafter be readily accessible;
• Source and monitor project information from local authorities, private sector partners and other stakeholders, including project values, and reporting against key milestones;
• Assist in the planning, preparation and updating of presentations, programme documentation, briefing papers and reports;
• Liaise with Financial Innovation Unit in Scottish Government and other key stakeholders to inform internal and external reporting;
• Support the Housing Team during the acquisition and disposal processes of housing programmes;
• Draft contracts and contract variations as required from time to time; and
• Managing relationships with external stakeholders and advisors.
Freedom of Information and Data Protection
• Draft responses to requests for information;
• Coordinate the collation of information from various sources and assisting SFT personnel to undertake the necessary searches for information;
• Assess, evaluate and make decisions in relation to the information (in consultation with others);
• Ensure compliance with statutory timescales; and
• Prepare periodic updates and statistical information for the Leadership Team.
• Assist the Business Technology Support Manager and the Office Manager with the implementation of procedures for the management of electronic and paper records.
• Assist the Commercial Director and Commercial Manager in the development and maintenance of procurement document templates;
• Administer procurements via the Quick Quote, Contract Notice and PCS-T functions within the Public Contracts Scotland website;
• Complete contract award letters, notification letters and feedback letters to bidders; and
• Undertake general administration relating to SFT’s procurement activity.
Knowledge / Skills & Experience – Essential
• Qualified solicitor with 1 – 2 years post qualification experience;
• Confidence in working under time pressure but at all times maintaining strong attention to detail;
• Problem solving and decision-making skills;
• Well-developed organisation and planning skills with the ability to multi–task;
• Ability to prioritise and manage time effectively;
• Ability to coordinate inputs from multiple stakeholders and manage their respective interests and expectations;
• Ability to work on own initiative proactively seeking opinions from other members of the team where necessary;
• Strong communication skills with the ability to build effective relationships with all levels of staff, both within SFT and external organisations;
• Experience of providing internal facing professional support lawyer services; and
• Understanding of conveyancing law and procedures.
Knowledge / Skills & Experience - Desirable
• Experience of instructing external legal advisers;
• Understanding of Freedom of Information/Environmental Information and Data Protection legislation;
• Awareness of procurement law and process.
• Commercial Focus
• Decision making and judgement
• Drive for results
• Focus on quality
• Working with others
How to apply
To apply, send your CV and a covering letter outlining how you fulfil the requirements of the role to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The closing date is 21 June 2018 (midnight).