Associate – Personal & Family / Family
Based in Glasgow
Lisa Girdwood, Partner
One of the UK’s largest family law teams which is top ranked by Chambers and Legal 500 has an exciting opportunity for an experienced Family Associate to join their Glasgow team. We require the successful candidate to have experience of practising the full range of family matters, including divorce, cohabitation and child law. Coming from a family law background, you will share your expertise with colleagues and support junior members of the team.
The family team acts for a wide range of clients – from those of modest wealth and means to those with multimillion pound assets. The team also acts for a number of individuals in the public eye and who are prominent in the business community.
The successful candidate will be an ambitious and self-motivated lawyer who will be expected to build up their own case load with assistance in doing so, and will also assist the other members of the team in a variety of cases involving the whole spectrum of family law. Ideally the successful candidate will be an accredited mediator and trained collaborative lawyer or will be committed to developing their expertise in these areas. The successful candidate will also be an experienced litigator with exposure both to practice in the Court of Session and the Sheriff Court. We attract a diverse range of complex work and provide our clients with excellent client care in order to deliver solution in the most sensitive and delicate of family situations. We are committed to delivering pragmatic outcomes in a cost effective way for our clients.
With guidance and support, the role holder will have the opportunity to experience a wide range of work as follows:
· Advising clients on financial provision upon separation and divorce and cohabitation issues.
· Acting for clients in child related matters – residence and contact disputes, relocation cases, international child abduction adoption, child protection work for public authority clients, surrogacy, and cross border cases.
· Drafting pleadings and conducting advocacy in Sheriff Court litigation and instructing counsel in Court of Session litigation.
· Assisting other team members with their clients, including: attending consultations with counsel and assisting with the follow-up work, preparing productions, taking statements from witnesses and covering court hearings.
· Drive forward the department’s business development activities in order to grow the client base
· Produce articles for the press and legal publications
· Produce material for the team website and copy for social media channels
· Speak regularly at internal seminars and at external conferences
· Be aware of Brodies’ information security policies, and protect information from unauthorised access, disclosure, modification, destruction or interference at all times.
· 5 years plus PQE in family law is essential
· Committed to highest level of client care and service
· Works to understand the team’s requirements and challenges it faces
· Genuine interest and enthusiasm for family work
· Committed to taking personal responsibility to learn on the job and keep knowledge up to date
· Excellent attention to detail
· Strong written and oral communication skills
· Communicates in a confident, clear and relaxed way
· Adapts style of communication appropriately when dealing with colleagues and clients
· Excellent research skills
· Takes responsibility for own transactions and advice and supervises those less qualified
· Ability to deal with competing priorities and meet deadlines
· Shows understanding of clients’ needs, and tailors advice appropriately
· Self motivated and driven
· Prepared, organised and able to prioritise
· Applied knowledge
· Commercial and Profit Focus
· Conduct and communication skills
To apply for this position please send a copy of your CV and covering letter to email@example.com quoting reference number BR640. If you would like to discuss the role in further detail, please contact Suzanne Ross on 0131 656 0156
Brodies is committed to equality, diversity & the creation of an inclusive work environment where no partner, employee, potential employee or job applicant receives less favourable treatment. We value the skills, experience and perspective that a diverse and representative workforce offers us in terms of our ability to deliver top class legal services to our clients.