Senior Solicitor or Associate (4+ years PQE) – Litigation / Business Disputes and Asset Recovery (IP, IT and Technology) – Brodies
Senior Solicitor or Associate (4+ years PQE) – Litigation / Business Disputes and Asset Recovery (IP, IT and Technology)
Based in Edinburgh
Gill Grassie and Robert Buchan
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Solicitor or Associate to join our well established and highly regarded IP/IT dispute resolution team. The team are top ranked in Chambers and Legal 500 and have been awarded the Scottish IP Firm of the Year by Managing Intellectual Property for the last 4 years running. The team has over 50 years of collective specialist experience.
The team have represented clients in the Court of Session in an extensive array of high profile and complex matters. These include patent infringement, validity and entitlement disputes, copyright and brand/trade mark protection cases many for famous household brands. The team also work closely with clients to avoid disputes arising through the provision of strategic pre-emptive advice, but where that is not possible aims to resolve matters and achieve the desired commercial objectives as swiftly as possible not only through litigation but also using negotiation and mediation.
The successful candidate will be involved in the resolution of commercial disputes across the whole gambit of contentious IP, IT and technology covering a wide variety of sectors as disparate as luxury brands, oil & gas and renewables, pharmaceuticals and financial services. This is a demanding role which requires an ability to think creatively.
With guidance and support, the role holder will have the opportunity to experience a wide range of work as follows:
- Providing robust commercially focused advice to clients on the merits of their position and strategic advice on the most appropriate and cost effective way to meet the client’s objectives
- Working within a team environment to support the delivery of major projects undertaken by the Division
- Drafting a wide variety of correspondence, contractual documents and court papers
- Liaising with clients, managing and building strong client relationships
- Managing a complex, busy and challenging workload whilst striving to exceed the service requirements and expectations of our diverse client base
- Representing clients in the Court of Session, Sheriff court
- Negotiating settlements
- Responsibility for day to day management, development and training of less experienced team members and providing support and guidance as required
- Presenting at internal and external seminars
- Active involvement in building the business through proactive business development activities linked to the department’s strategic plan and being a motivated self-starter to grow the business
- Be aware of Brodies’ information security policies, and protect information assets from unauthorised access, disclosure, modification, destruction or interference at all times
- Experience and interest in IP/IT dispute resolution is strongly preferred
- Excellent attention to detail with ability to communicate clearly and confidently.
- Adapts style of communication appropriately when dealing with clients
- Has strong drafting skills and works in a logical manner
- Ability to think creatively when looking at issues and proposing solutions
- Works effectively with other team members, and is able to supervise the work of those less qualified.
- Enthusiasm and aptitude for supporting the different areas covered by the Division.
- Understands the team’s key clients, the industry in which they operate and the challenges they face.
- Takes personal responsibility to keep legal knowledge up to date
- Strong research skills
- Ability to manage own case load
- Knowledge of Court of Session IP and Commercial Action procedure – particularly knowledge of jurisdiction requirements, court rules and procedures and test for interim orders
- Self motivated and driven
- Prepared, organised and able to prioritise
- Applied knowledge
- Commercial and Profit Focus
- Conduct and communication skills
To apply for this position please send a copy of your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference number BR607. If you would like to discuss the role in further detail, please contact Nicole Ferry on 0131 656 0050.
Brodies is committed to equality, diversity & the creation of an inclusive work environment where no partner, employee, potential employee or job applicant receives less favourable treatment. We value the skills, experience and perspective that a diverse and representative workforce offers us in terms of our ability to deliver top class legal services to our clients.